Ignition Interlock Installation Process Explained
If you have been mandated to install an interlock following a DUI incident, you will need to visit a state-approved interlock provider. State-approved providers meet all state criteria and also work with state monitoring authorities.
How Long Does It Take To Install an Interlock?
State monitoring authorities gather the testing data from interlock devices and use it to monitor the offenders. They receive reports of failed tests and attempts to tamper with the device. Some states have compliance-based interlock policies, and repeated failures or attempts to tamper can result in the interlock term being lengthened, plus additional legal penalties.
After you choose your interlock provider and make your installation appointment, this is what you can expect:
- First, you will show the interlock provider the necessary paperwork and identification.
- They will install the device. The amount of time can vary depending on the make, model, and year of your car, but typically takes about an hour.
- Then, the technician will show you how the device works and provide you with your certificate of installation, which may be required to obtain your driving privileges.
- You will need to return on a regular basis for calibration. It varies by state, but typically calibration is needed every 30 to 90 days.
It’s important to visit a certified technician, because they will be able to install the device without damaging your vehicle.
How Should I Choose My Interlock Provider?
When it comes to choosing your interlock provider, we have done the research for you. Our preferred provider is Intoxalock, for a variety of reasons:
- Intoxalock is the #1 interlock brand in the market, with hundreds of thousands of satisfied customers and top reviews
- Intoxalock has more locations than any other provider. With more than 5,000 locations throughout the US, you can easily find one close to you
- Their easy to use device has one of the simplest blow patterns on the market, making it easy for anyone to master
- Intoxalock partners with several brands who can help you through your DUI journey, including Breathe Easy for high-risk insurance coverage, US Court Assessments for assessment needs, and Restorify when you are ready for expungement
If you have questions about interlock devices, installation, or anything related, please contact us at 877-370-7308.