Our Agents Can Help You Save.

Adding or Transferring Your Interlock Device to a New Car

Whether you’re installing for the first time in a newly purchased vehicle or switching from one vehicle to another, this blog should help you learn what to expect. 

Most DUI, DWI, or OWI offenders have their license suspended for some length of time, even on a first offense. Typically, to drive again using a hardship or limited license, the state requires offenders to install an ignition interlock device from a state-approved provider. Some may not have a vehicle at the time of the suspension or may obtain a new vehicle during the interlock term. 

What to Expect When Installing Your First Ignition Interlock Device

Some offenders without cars may think they can bypass the interlock device requirement. However, the requirement applies to any future vehicle as well. So if you did not have a vehicle when you were convicted of drunk driving, or your vehicle was totaled, you will need to install one in your next vehicle even if it is after the initial suspension period. The interlock term will start at the installation. 

How to Get Started with an IID

First, you will need to check to verify who the approved providers are in your state. Once you’ve selected the provider you want to visit, you can make an appointment. We recommend Intoxalock, which is the #1 interlock brand on the market. They have more locations than any other interlock provider. 

It’s important to have a trained technician from an approved provider install your device. They will ensure it is installed correctly and provide you with a certificate of installation, which you may need to obtain a driver’s license. They also work with the state’s monitoring authority and will show you how the device works before you leave.

Regaining Driving Privileges After Installing an IID

Your state should have a process for obtaining a limited or hardship driver’s license. In addition to installing your interlock device, you may need to complete other tasks like community service, alcohol education or treatment, or obtaining high-risk insurance coverage. 

Follow the appropriate application process at your state’s department of vehicles to get your license. If you are switching vehicles, you may need a friend to drive one to the interlock provider to make the switch. Most providers will charge a change fee. 

Avoid Risky Behavior

If you are required to drive using an ignition interlock device, you need to have an IID in every vehicle you drive. This includes your new car. Don’t risk losing driving privileges by driving your new vehicle to the installation location - have a friend or family member help you out. Otherwise, you face many risks, including an extension of your interlock term, additional fines, and even license revocation. 

How to Request a Vehicle Interlock Transfer

When you get a new car, you will need to transfer your device into it. You will need to work with your interlock provider to ensure that you have everything you need to transfer the device. They will assist you with the process and make sure you remain compliant with your state’s monitoring authority.

When you call the provider, you may need to have the following info on hand: 

  • Driver’s license number
  • Vehicle information like the year, make, model, and VIN
  • Your license plate number, name of the registered owner, and county of registration
  • Information like how long you will need to have the IID and the appropriate monitoring authority
  • A copy of your court order

If you have any questions about changing your interlock device to a new vehicle, please reach out.